Sunday, April 3, 2011

it's true, i cried

last night i got home around 8:30 and i began crying...ok, it's because i was slicing onions. it is official, i may have an unhealthy obsession with dehydrating. (so much so, that i haven't been drinking as much water as i should!) actually, it's just that i bought so many fruits and veggies last time and i don't want them to go bad, so i have to finish up!

but yes, i was sitting there slicing them with the little guillotine cutter-slicer-thingy and tears mixed with mascara were spilling down my face and i had to wipe my eyes on my shirt (good thing i had changed into the old tshirt). i don't know how many times i had to pause because my eyes hurt so badly, but i know it took longer than i was hoping! i wanted them in rings so that they would dry better, but forget it, i think next time i'm pulsing them in the mini food processor or maybe i need to get a slap chop-there just has to be a better way!!!

speaking of onions and crying, mental snaps to angela and nate! thanks to nate for helping me get my computer back, it was slipping into the depths of viral despair, and he helped me to figure out what it needed...a good swift kick in the digital butt. and to angela because she invited me over for dinner while my computer was getting reprimanded, and made tacos and she was moved to tears by her onions as well.

so, yesterday was another long day -i was exhausted when i woke up early for saturday school (i cannot wait to get my saturdays back) and i was exhausted when i got home from michaels (getting supplies to be like the art festival people) and i was exhausted when i came back from my friend's 50th get-together. i'll tell ya what (if you're still reading), getting a bunch of teachers together, who teach for kids in low ses schools right before taks testing and in the midst of fiscal disaster which will affect all of us in some manner can get conversation off and running!
a friend and i were about to leave when our host said, "no, you must have cake! it's tres leches! you must know this about me: ever since i lived in HONDURAS and tried my first tres leches (and quite possibly the best) at my bff erika's house, i cannot pass it up no matter how full i am! so we had cake and the two of us began our own conversation about religion, which we took all the way out the door to the cars and continued talking there for about 20 minutes.

when it comes to politics and religion, i previously did not enjoy debating or discussing because so many people have thin skin and i never wanted to rock the boat, but if you talk to me now-a-days, i don't think i am brilliant by any means, but i do keep myself well-informed. i believe that i support my thoughts with valid points, and even if we disagree, you will leave with something to think about . i will say that i am a little fed up with political correctness...only in America.

all of that to say that when i got my onions sliced, i was so tired and all cried out, it was already 9:11, give or take a minute, and i did the calculations and decided that i was not about to set the alarm to wake up at 1:11 am to check on them, so i took them all off of the racks and put them in the fridge. this morning, that was first on my agenda. and for the record, i woke up at least on 5 different occasions (but who's really counting when you're asleep) and thought it was the longest night EVER, so when the boys finally started stirring, and they couldn't sleep any longer, bruno got right up in my face and said, "hey! if you don't get up, chaco is going to play with poop." they tattle on each other just like my 4th graders and he knew that would get my attention. i got up.
a little dark, but this is what i woke up to :)


i got the onions going, then decided to try eggs with some dehydrated tomato i did last week. score! it tasted just like eggs with...dried tomato! which is great if you're a fan of sun-dried tomatoes, which i am! i will be making more of those for salads, pasta and eggs!

also on the agenda today- bible study and lesson plans (lesson plans will be easy because we test all week and have a field trip to the symphony).

happy sunday funday!
julie

1 comment: