Friday, June 10, 2011

to mandolin slicer: you cut me open and i keep bleeding..

ok, i think this one is going to be interesting-i would like to start by giving you a tip:
there's my marker, but what is that white thing?

that would be the tip of my pinky.  look at that hunk of flesh!
ok. let me tell the story-you might cringe a little, but it was interesting. the game had begun and i had the 2nd batch of chicken going (which turned out quite spicy). well, after we were well into the 2nd quarter, i decided to go ahead and blanch the potatoes so i could dehydrate them (first time i've blanched something and knew that i was doing it [not blanche like golden girls]). so i had to slice the potatoes. well, i got about 5 out of the bag and washed them off, and one of them fell into the garbage disposal-no, don't cringe yet. i reached down to get it out and it is really hard to get a potato out of a disposal drain-kinda like the monkey that grabs something in the bottle and cannot get it out because his hand won't fit. well, it was a tight squeeze, but i finally got it out. that's when i put a stopper in-brilliant.

then i got the little mandolin slicer out. now, it's small but lethal. i began slicing, and when i got down toward the end i carefully finished the first potato. well, i got careless with the 2nd one and before i knew it, i felt  a slice and i knew i had cut myself. it began bleeding so badly that i couldn't actually see the cut. i rinsed it off and put pressure on it with a paper towel (perhaps a couple of choice words came out and bruno and chaco in unison, [like my students if i say the word 'stupid]' said "awww!"). i proceeded to the bathroom, put a bandaid on it and kept the paper towel on to pressure. then when i removed the paper towel, the bandaid was soaked, so i got more paper towel and continued to put pressure on it and keep it above my head. then i went back into the kitchen and picked up the slicer and there underneath it was what i thought was the tip of the potato, but then i realized it didn't have potato skin on the outside...nope. it was unmistakably my fingerprint! it really took that much off. so i guess if i ever commit a crime i'll have to be sure to just use my right pinky, and no other fingers!

 i proceeded to call my mom because i wanted to be reassured that i didn't need to go into the e.r. (my dad is prone to accidents-he likes power tools. and my mom is a nurse, so we're pretty level headed). i tried to explain to her how big the chunk was, but as i sat there staring at it, i couldn't think of anything that was the same size. maybe a baby's contact..half a lima bean? i don't know. she said just keep the pressure on (and i thought, oh, kinda like the mavs?). and she asked if i had gauze-no. note to self-get gauze if i plan on cutting myself again. done. and so i found another bandaid and put tape around it. mom asked if i could get to the e.r. if i needed to. yes, but i didn't want to because i was in the middle of blanching potatoes and finishing chicken and watching the nba finals!

by the end of our conversation, i was convinced that i would be fine. i may need some aspirin tomorrow b/c it is going to hurt like chopping off the tip of your finger! i had to change out one last bandaid which finally didn't bleed through. i think i handled it pretty well, but the dogs are so intuitive. the were following me around from the kitchen to the bathroom, to the kitchen again. i think chaco heard mom and decided i was going to be fine, but bruno (my loyal one) stayed with me wherever i was. i finally reassured him i was fine by giving him a treat of bbq chicken!

 i woke up this morning, and i knew i had to take off the bandaid to clean it. i cut it off, but it was sticking. so i turned on the water and it finally came off. and it started bleeding again, so i blotted it with the paper towel until it stopped.
this is the side view-it's official, i will forever be single now bc i hear the first thing guys notice on a girl is their pinkies. and now, mine is deformed. no perfect rounded tip anymore...


and here is the culprit-mandolin slicer! i found the attachment-life saver
 then i made my way to the cvs to get hydrogen peroxide, gauze and neosporin. then i dropped off some letters at the post office. i got home and cleaned and re-bandaged and got the dogs ready for another early morning walk...all of this before 8:30! woo!

when we got home, i decided that it would be a good idea to finish slicing potatoes to dehydrate for hash browns later on...if you fall off a horse, get back on, right? yes, i did just compare slicing a finger with falling off a horse-sorry equestrians! and then i poached the last set of chicken breasts to make curried chicken salad.

and then i decided to relax a little:
i ABSOLUTELY love this movie!! and yes, i did get razzles for the occasion-first it's candy, then it's gum!
jennifer garner is so adorable in this movie, and mark ruffalo-the ideal man.

i was planning on starting my canning today or tomorrow, but i got a call from a courier guy and he said that they had received my package, but they couldn't deliver it because i wasn't in their delivery area. so now they will ship it back to amazon to find another way to ship it...boo. i totally could've found a half way point to meet him or something.

alrighty then, if you have sharp objects in your home, invest in gauze-
julie

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! I know this is an old post, but I had to comment. Yesterday, I did the EXACT same thing!! I was slicing cucumbers for a salad and was going like mad - like you, not using the guard - and sliced the tip of my pinky off! (I also found the tip of my pinky - but it was IN THE SALAD!! Yuck! I ditched the salad.) It bled intensely for over 2 hours... I drove myself to the E.R. because it just wouldn't stop... let me tell ya, it was a scary drive since I was still in shock.

    Just want to ask you, has your pinky fingertip grown back at all?? Mine looks identical to yours.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's funny, it's a little lopsided, but barely visible now- sometimes i feel it; surely that has something to do with the nerve endings, yes?

      Delete
  2. I just want to thank you for this blog post because I did the exact same thing tonight and was looking for a little reassurance online about not going to the E.R! Because oh the blood! Oh the pain! But like you said. The meal needed to be finished right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, pointer finger, yesterday. Looks like the same mandoline..,glad to hear it will heal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And,I, drove myself too., I did t know about holding your hand up. The blood.on the way out threw out the mandolin.

    ReplyDelete