Wednesday, May 9, 2012

i'd much rather watch midget wrestling than draw blood from old people

my student teacher got tickets to an event tonight, and i might be a little jealous! i'm pretty sure i could've pulled some friends to go with me to this!
midget wrestling!!! what?!
what i wouldn't give...

then i made my appointment for the pre-op lab work and ekg, only when i got there, the nurse said it was just a urine sample and blood work. whatev, better for me b/c i won't have to pay as much! so, after the paperwork and registration, the nurse took me back for the blood work and i was in one of the fake rooms in the middle of the place with pull around curtains that you usually see on the ER shows or mystery shows...
methodist hospital in addison, right off the tollway
 it's a beautiful, fairly new building. it kind of brought back memories of when i worked at menorah medical park back in ks...the good old days in the file room! i had my first knee surgery there and after the surgery, they had me sitting up while my mom was talking to the doc, i was so out of it i kept grabbing kleenex and spitting into them and throwing them in the trash can next to me, and until the nurse saw me and came over and realized that the kleenex (plural) were all bloody, so they ordered a stat chest xray, but it was no big deal, the tube in my throat had merely scraped my throat on the way out a little bit.

and as she was tying the rubber band around my arm and pulling out the needle and the tubes, memories of my attempt at phlebotomy came back...not sure if i ever told the story on here, but it was an interesting experience. they sent me to a hospital downtown, and my trainer sent me into a room to draw from this lady, while she stepped out momentarily. i tried to draw, but being an elderly woman, she didn't have the best veins, so i switched to different needle because i didn't get enough on the first draw.

 well, when my trainer came back, she thought it was very strange, and the woman was still asleep...well, the nurses had failed to take her off the rounds chart when she had passed away earlier in the day...no wonder my excellent techniques were not working. that was a little awkward. and i decided this was not the route i wanted to take. the only great thing about  going down there was that they had the greatest philly cheese steak sandwiches around the corner!

lots of memories from those days.

then, as i was leaving, the receptionist poked her head around the corner and told the nurses that the lady who had come in just prior to me called on the emergency button and said she was locked in the dressing room. they looked at each other and one of them said, "i didn't put her in a dressing room." the other one responded that she hadn't either....i hope they found her!

and on the way out, i went to the bathroom and found the must unsettling baby changing station. i would strongly urge people with babies to steer clear!
look carefully, using this station causes baby heads to become detached.
 and i was comforted to see that they had a crash cart ready to go!


i think we're good to go. as i was walking out, there was a nurse wheeling a guy out and he was saying crazy things as he got into the passenger side. glad mom and dad will be here to pick me up! the up side is i know they won't take embarrassing video.

if it doesn't work the first time, keep trying until someone tells you they're dead!
julie

No comments:

Post a Comment