Friday, May 6, 2011

the white house in my pocket

this morning i was picking up my kids to go to class, and one of our sweet subs stopped me and said, "you're just the person i was hoping to see." and she pulled something from her bag and gave it to me and said, "here, this is for you; you can put it on your papers to keep them in place." and she handed me a mini white house. it was really sweet and thoughtful. but was it because she knew how many piles of paper i had around on my desk? or was i just the first 'sucka' she saw who might accept this item she trying to re-gift?? because let's be honest, for all you  teachers out there, you've all gotten silly little trinkets from your students that you're not sure exactly what to do with, right?
i have a large stash of items i don't know exactly what to do with! so today when my mom called, she mentioned going to garage sales to look for some cheap stuffed animals to pack in their crisis care packages that the church is putting together (they do it every year)...so i may pack them up and take them with me to branson this summer when i go for a weekend to hang out with the fam so that she can take them back and put them to use!

that's right! i said branson! going back for a visit! and while i'm there, we will be going to silver dollar city! i am pretty sure that for nostalgia's sake i will be riding the fire in the hole! i know i mentioned fire in the hole before-that's because when i was young, my parents took us to silver dollar city and that's the one ride i remember because 1.the young male attendant who made sure we were locked in asked about my ponytail and it stuck with me. he asked how i got my hair to grow out of one little spot in the back of my head like that (little girls laugh at comments like that and remember them) and 2. there was one spot as we were going through the 'mine' where the track ahead is burned down and it looked like we were going to plunge into the abyss of darkness-scary!

it will be a quick weekend trip because i will be teaching summer school again this summer-at least i plan to! i'm pretty sure it's going to be a very busy summer. hopefully gas prices go down quickly. i just filled up today and it cost just over $50! ugh. i wish i could fill my gas tank with diet coke...i can would only be paying 2.50 again!

although i will not be in attendance, thor comes out today! i don't know exactly how that will fare, but it does bring back wonderful memories of adventures in babysitting! great movie and thor was the best part of that movie!
bruno's cool with waiting for the movie now that i've explained it to him...notice, i had to substitute the pliers for the hammer-not nearly as powerful, so i don't know that they get the full picture...
my computer got the virus again, but i'm hoping i will be able to fix it and get this posted! 


happy day and a half before mom's day!
julie

1 comment:

  1. There is a ride at Dollywood called Blazing Fury, where they shout "fire in the hole" when the coaster car is starting up. It's my favorite, so I hope it's the same at Silver Dollar City. Andrew will not ride it, but I'm in for sure! Looking forward to seeing you!!

    ReplyDelete