Saturday, May 21, 2011

life smells good today!

went to deposit my check for my training this summer and it's such a tease to see the extra 650 on the receipt.
the boys were with me, so we went for a walk at the park (the one with the pond).
lots of ducks out today-the mallards have such beautiful green heads.
bruno and chaco were so good about just walking by them and leaving them alone. could be because most of the ducks are bigger than them, but chaco was saying something about no orange sauce or peppercorns, so it wasn't worth it..(too much food network challenge?) and as we passed the couple from india, they asked what variety my dogs were.

we got to the opposite side of the park and i saw a barbie having a very rough day.
called svu
as we were walking back to the car, i was enjoying the slight breeze and the smells. i am so glad God created us with the sense of smell! the evergreen tree smelled marvelous-even in late spring! such powerful memories! one smell that catches my attention is pipe smoke and corncob pipes. ok, that's 2, but they're similar...but they remind me of different things. (mind you, this was where my thoughts were wandering as we walked) the pipe smell reminds me of tom sawyer area at disney world (when i was little, they had a pipe shop and i remember that smell as we went by). the corncob pipe smell reminds me of a turkey farm/ restaurant in michigan that my grandparents took us all to. they had a souvenir shop and i wanted one but my parents wouldn't let me have one. (i think because dad was a preacher, and probably because it wasn't very lady-like).

well, that restaurant experience made me think of an ice cream parlor they took us to (when i say us, it usually involves my brother and my cousins and sometimes parents and aunt). it was a high wheeler old-fashioned type place. it was really cool. then i thought of the first time i went to ruby tuesday's (i had NO CLUE what it was) it was when i first came back to the u.s from honduras with a bunch of missionary kids in miami. it was pretty random, but ever since i've been bewitched by their soft rye croutons! (and just typing the word miami makes me wish i were closer and could go visit a couple of my friends there)

ok, i'm getting the little red x in the shield at the bottom of my page, so i may or may not be able to post this-i might have to go through the virus removal again. (at least i'm getting pretty good at it). ok, i scanned in time, so i'm safe again. boo on technology.

there was one last thought i had. as i was driving home, i noticed a restaurant named the scarlet ibis. and it reminded me of my sweet friend amy, in iowa. when we were in high school (my freshman year) there was a church competition thing and she performed a monologue using the scarlet ibis story. she did such a superb job that it stuck with me. any time i see anything having to do with a scarlet ibis, i think of doodle and amy's performance! kudos! it's a sad story, so i cannot read it to the boys-they might cry..or i might, and then there's a need for kleenex, and they boys would just eat the kleenex, so it's a no-win situation!

alright, smell ya later!
jules

what smells bring back unforgettable memories for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment