Thursday, June 21, 2012

i'm cool with art out of trash, but c'mon, in my classroom?

so today our arts integration person was something else...bless her heart (just gave myself the license to complain). we have a combined classroom of almost 30 kids. well, she brings in a boat-load of trash and asks the other teacher if he might be willing to rinse out some milk cartoons she pulled from the trash earlier this morning. (gross). then she started passing out the trash so the kids could create something out of the trash.

cool idea, just not enough time or space. she kept leaving the room to find more trash, the glue gun, etc. then it was time for the kids to clean up and once again she was MIA, so i had to head that up as well. and the kids didn't get to hot glue anything. the gal says, "in your free time, you can supervise the kids and let them glue their things together..." i don't think so. no law-suit for me please. and then the kicker, "...and hopefully i can get your teachers to help me take the sculptures outside next week and help me spray paint them black..." umm..i'm sorry, in what free-time would you like me to do this? and....really? do i look like i am wearing or have an art smock anywhere in this room? and lastly, i'm pretty sure there was nothing in my face that was even vaguely hinting at the fact that i remotely wanted to have any involvement in this? didn't think so.
a little blurry, but you get the idea-today's crazinesss made me realize that i really prefer order with the sporadic organized chaos.
cupcake wars commercial just really made me want a cupcake...if i make it through tomorrow and finish all of my fluency testing (can you believe they are having us do a dra type testing at the beginning and end of this 5-week summer school? how tragic), i might just have to get a sprinkles cupcake...just sayin. i spent all day on those things today-fortunately i still have brooke around helping out with the students--she was great. need to come up with something good to keep the kids busy tomorrow while i finish up the last of the testing!!! boo.

so, in preparation for tonight's game, i am actually listening to garth brooks' the thunder rolls. inspiring. it actually reminds me of my aunt beth. when we were younger and garth was quite a bit younger too...she was not yet married, and she took me with her to the pool hall and of course garth was playing in the background and that was pretty much my first encounter with him. this song and friends in low places. hmm. good times. i think that might have been the night she went on a first date with her now husband of many years.

it's kinda coincidental, but i think the first time i heard billy ray cyrus and achy breaky heart was in sioux city as well-with my cousin, at a small rodeo-fair on a crazy muddy evening. ah, sioux city, how many wonderful memories you have afforded me! i love to revisit the past!

good times. i need to try to get my lesson plans done before the game begins, because last week i was trying to do both at the same time (as well as playing words with friends...) and that just really wasn't healthy, not to mention, i don't know if my plans even made sense!
julie

No comments:

Post a Comment