Saturday, December 24, 2011

reheating coffee is NOT optimal, but that's why there's sweetener and creamer!

i will admit that when i heard this on the news, i had to chuckle because the news anchor said that a blogger had said best buy deserved this for making fun of santa (especially since i had just written about it the other day! smile). bummer when you over-promise and under-deliver...sounds kinda' like our government these days, no?

so, i went downtown without a real plan tonight, and met a man at mcdonalds who was homeless-i had to stop to use the restroom (too much to drink) anyhoo, on the way out the door i asked him if he lived around there and he said he lived all over the area, especially in an alley on the other side of the street. his name is james and he just got out of jail about a week ago. i noticed he had only a backpack, so i got one of my bags out of the car and offered him a blanket as well. as he was walking away, he turned around and told me his name and asked me to pray for him.

then i continued and ended up in deep ellum and there was an elderly gentleman limping along, so i offered him a bag as well and a fleece blanket and a cup of coffee. (did i mention i got some coffee from starbucks?).
all hail the caffeine goddess 

i wanted to find a spot to park, but it was difficult finding a place to park and sit without looking  a little conspicuous, so as it neared 9 p.m., i decided to give up for the night and tomorrow i will reheat the coffee (and take lots of coffee and sweetener to mask the reheat) and take the cooler down to put some of the goodies in. then i can park and walk and wish people a merry Christmas! nothing like spreading Christmas cheer to people who will otherwise probably not have much of a merry Christmas.


it really was beautiful downtown though.
the fake icicles in the trees were spectacular!
i read a book recently called crazy love and it really made me rethink some things. and i've been seeing this verse over and over recently:
Matthew 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

so, as i was looking for information, i came across this organization called: our calling, which was founded by a man from dts (dallas theological seminary). i am thinking about the possibility of volunteering with them; they seem to have a great mission vision to help the homeless.
 
i hope your Christmas is filled with beauty, wonder and incredible meaning!
julie

No comments:

Post a Comment