Wednesday, May 21, 2014

DON'T MESS WITH MY MELONS! and part 2 of mandolin slicer

this morning when i went out to the garden, i was looking at the canary melon plants and i decided to pull out the clippers thinking, "i'd better cut the weeds around the plant so that when the district grounds crew comes in, they won't cut them down." And sure enough, the district guys came today. i was actually thinking about putting up a little sign: DON'T MESS WITH MY MELONS! but since it's an elementary school, i just wasn't sure how appropriate that might be.

well, this afternoon after they were done, i took a lady out there to show her what we had in the garden currently (as they are wanting to help us create a second garden area). while we were out there, i almost started crying because the 'professional weed-whackers' chopped down our thriving passion fruit vine (WHICH I MIGHT ADD, HAS PAVERS SURROUNDING IT AS IF TO SAY: DON'T CUT ME DOWN, I'M ACTUALLY HERE ON PURPOSE!). i was pissed. i'd almost forgotten about that and right now, i thought about it and my heart is racing again. i mean...maybe i need to go out and stand guard every time they come.

it makes me want to spit. and when i say that, i mean spit a venomous poison that turns one into a statue or something...is that a bad thing? then don't mess with my melons and vines! oh the vitriol-almost as bad as my road rage (i really have to mind my p's and q's when people ride with me, because i don't suffer stupidity from below-average drivers).

on a brighter note...that passed fairly quickly-there is no black cloud over my head (even though i will hunt them down)...ok, for real though. on the way home, i decided to stop at home depot for a little tomato trellis action because they are OOC-out of control~then i went up to get my inspection and when the guy checked me out (not like that...when i had to pay up), he said, "you really got your money's worth on that last sticker-surprised you didn't get pulled over sooner!" he was really surprised when i told him i merely got a warning.

then i stopped up at sprouts to get cabbage and bacon. two obvious staples..c'mon! for real though, i thought that was all i needed-bacon for me, cabbage for coleslaw. i was wrong. when i got home and looked at the recipe for the cabbage salad, i was missing like 5 or 6 items, so around 8 pm, i went out to get those items. and proceeded to make this epic salad.

'why?' you might ask. well, i tried to avoid eye-contact and walk the other day, but she is really good at tracking people down (she might have mohican blood in her). The official-unofficial party organizer accosted me and asked me if i would participate in a birthday celebration for our nurse. i agreed because, well, i'm just a fool like that. she's been trying to get me to make this salad since the first time that i made it..it's the end of the year, and i'd hate to let her down.

don't get me wrong, i understand why she wanted it...it's good. it's REALLY good. in fact, i kinda' wanted to eat a whole bowl of it tonight..and i'm not talking some wimpy little rookie soup bowl..NO-NO. i'm speaking of something bigger...more like a witches cauldron. i wanted to eat until i was so full that an animated cartoon-character-belch was produced, and then i'd stretch my arms way above my head with an exaggerated yawn and fall to sleep for 100 years, like rumplestilskin! ONLY...if that happened, i'd miss my trip to HONDURAS, and that would be tragic! so i wisely chose not to have any. ok, maybe one bite to make sure it was presentable...alright, i scooped out enough for three spoonfuls, and it was magical. 

everything was going so smoothly. until i forgot how sharp the freaking mandolin finger slicer is.


 in case you are wondering how sharp it is, let me remind you here! (not for weak stomachs). anyhoo, you'd think i would remember (my pinky still has a white scar in that entire area). but no worries, for everyone eating tomorrow-i watch enough chopped to know that as soon as i felt the nick, i had to wash it up and put a bandaid on and get out the knife to finish up! the health inspectors would give mean A+. just sayin'...(until they saw chaco stirring and tossing the salad).

and voila, another afternoon of my life-done!

julie!

No comments:

Post a Comment